The Purebred Sheep Breeders Association of Nova Scotia was formed in 1980 with a goal of improving the quality and promoting the sale of purebred sheep in Nova Scotia.
This is to be achieved through the building on the strengths and efforts of our producers and sponsorship of a suite of events both within Nova Scotia as well as nationally.
Our Specific Objectives Are:
- To improve the quality and promote the sale of purebred sheep in Nova Scotia;
- To sponsor educational activities related to sheep breeding;
- To promote, advertise and advance the interests of breeders of purebred sheep and speak on their behalf.
In order to meet these objectives, the Association sponsors:
- A sale of breeding stock in Truro in the month of September
- Educational activities
- Promotion of the Association at Shows, Conferences and Exhibitions and produces a quarterly newsletter and
- Support to our breeders in research activities and the roll-out of new production practices and technologies
We have hosted the Canadian Sheep Breeders Association Classic sales in Nova Scotia on three occasions since our formation in 1980, thereby showcasing the industry on a national stage.
We also encourage the entrance of new participants into the Association through support the 4-H sheep program and provision of information on breeders and the availability of purebred breeding stock through our Breeders Directory and Web-site.
The Purebred Sheep Breeders’ Association of Nova Scotia is incorporated under the Societies Act of Nova Scotia.